Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I heart thrift shops!

I don't have much of a fabric stash... In my opinion anyway... I never seem to have 'just the right fabric' for what I want to do. I think I have a separation problem... I buy fabrics I really love, and then I don't want to use them because I think I might have another/better use for them later... or I don't want to "waste" them on whatever project I'm doing. I feel that I just don't have enough to choose from when I look through my stash... maybe if I organized it, and had it out where I could see it? I don't know.... I can't afford to go out to my favorite fabric shops and pick up this and that, so I have turned to alternative methods of stash building.

I have been drooling over some of the vintage-inspired fabrics in browns, greens, retro colors and patterns lately. I just love the great, seemingly timeless quality of them. Maybe it's because they're back into style or something, or maybe it's because I was born in the 70's and it's somehow in my blood to love the browns, pinks, greens, and oranges of that time period. I don't know. I also really love bright colors in patterns that just pop out at you, and I'm sure I'll go on and on about some of those pieces in my measly stash on a different post.

Anyway, I just wanted to share with you some of my latest finds from a Ruritan thrift store in a tiny little town called Clarksville, Va. We visit this town pretty often as my parents have a cute little 500 sq. ft. cottage on Kerr lake there, and it's the only place to go if you want to something other than hang out in, on, or very close to the lake house. There's an ice cream shop, a little gifty-nick-nack shop, some places to eat, and TWO - yes TWO hotels (right on the water). So, this is a small town, but they have a fairly large thrift shop. I've been in there a few times quite a while ago, but I guess I never really looked around. This time my Mom came and watched the boy while I browsed around finding treasures. And I feel like I really did find some - take a look:

This is a pair of muslin lined very retro curtains... great print huh?

Here's a pillowcase I will make into a summery dress for my girlie!

Some little fabric remnants - each are a little more than a quarter of a yard.

I was pretty proud to find that stuff. I also got a cotton yellow/green plaid shower curtain which I plan to make into table napkins. I also thought of looking at the wool coats and suits, but decided to wait on that sort of thing since I still don't have my piggy pattern enlarged yet!!! Darn it!

Needless to say, the next time I head up to the lake, I will be perusing the store again! They also had a shelf full of fabrics, most of which weren't up my alley, but who knows what will be there next time???

No comments: