Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I turned the heel!

It wasn't as hard as I thought! I worked on it last night after looking up some instructions online. The 'turning' of the heel is soooo cool! I love how it just happens while you're knitting it! The heel flap seems a little long to me on these socks, and the actual width of the 'turned' part of the heel seems narrow, so we'll se how these turn out... they are my FIRST pair of socks after all! And not even a pair yet - this is half of the first sock. I've got to figure out how to pick up stitches now... I have no idea how I'm going to do that part yet... So far, I love it! I think they'll be very pretty, I just hope they fit my little lady. She's being so patient about them, but she did want to try them on...

Here is my freshly turned heel:


Here's a shot of the whole thing so far:

And on the model (it looks like it will fit!):

I actually haven't touched these today - the sock work was done last night... All of my free time today was taken up with my volunteer job for the elementary school: Box tops!!! I'm the coordinator for my daughter's school, and last year we didn't make much money at all... I thought for a school of it's size it should be able to make at least $500 from BT. Therefore, I am all about the box tops - it's really free money for the school! If you have any box tops - please mail them to me!!!!! Today I was counting and sorting and trimming the little coupons - I have to send in this batch before the end of the month so we can get a check for it before the end of the year. So far (since the last submission in October = $) our school has collected another $243 worth! Woo hoo!
So tonight, I'm planning to work on these socks some more... and maybe work on some sorting of my new sewing room... it's a mess now that I got all of the fabric boxes and bags out of the 'old' sewing room!



3 comments:

atet said...

Those socks look great and yep, turning the heel is like some kind of magic isn't it? Love the blocks you've been showing as well as your sewing room switch. Wooo Hoo -- more space to work! Your post about the Montessori school really has me thinking about my own little one -- thanks for the information.

Breanna said...

I love the sock, great job! I'm a box top coordinator too, and have spent too much time this week trimming, I haven't started counting yet. Someone turned in a bunch from 2002??? I am wondering if they have held on to them for six years, or just ate the food. Very interesting.

Cher said...

nice on the sock! I am working up the nerve to knit socks-in the meanwhile-I have knitted a few sweaters-Debbie Stoller's Stitch ' N bitch handbook is terrific for teaching you those basics-like picking up stitches...it is where I finally "got it" without having to go find someone to show me how. Her book really rocks. We do not buy much boxed stuff-which box tops are you referring to? I would be happy to help you out.