Monday, December 20, 2010

Made-by-me Monday

Tonight I made "Fat Tuesday Skinny Red Beans"... one of the recipes we first got to try when we were on our Road Trip this summer. My friend Anna made it for us while we visted, and I loved it. I made it tonight using her recipe book that she gifted to me for my birthday. (Thank you, Anna!!!) I made it with rice for myself, and cornbread for the other three in my household. Of course the kids said they didn't like it. Oh well... I loved it, and Mike had two servings, so I know he liked it enough to eat it some other time, I think it might be better with more beans.


The recipe says it feeds 4-6 people... and I think we ate about half of it! The rice was only eaten by me, so there was still lots left (it's SUCH good rice... buttery/nutty flavor!)



The cornbread was all eaten! I will have to make more soon!


Even though the kids didn't eat it tonight, I will make this again. Maybe the kids will like it if I give it to them more often...

Here's the recipe I used... it's from the Moosewood Low Fat cookbook, but there are modifications...
* 1 large sweet onion, chopped
* 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1c carrot, chopped
* 2c celery, chopped
* 1 bell pepper, chopped (any color)
* 1 teaspoon oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon thyme
* 1 teaspoon basil
* 1 teaspoon marjoram
* 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
* 1 (15 ounce) can corn kernels (drained)
* 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
* 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
* 1 tablespoon brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
* salt and pepper to taste

Prep Time: 25-30 mins

1. 1 In a soup pot, saute onions and garlic in oil until onions are tender.
2. 2 Add the carrots, celery, bell pepper, oregano, thyme, basil, and marjoram. Cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. 3 Stir in the tomatoes, kidney beans, mustard, and brown sugar. Simmer gently for 10 more minutes.
4. 4 Stir in salt and pepper.
5. 5 Serve over rice or cornbread.

1 comment:

Mollie B said...

We might need the recipe.