Monday, December 18, 2017

Adventures from our Kitchen

Caramel Croissant Dessert
https://youtu.be/9TzfJDxaQeQ
#recipeoftheday
#yorkshiredad

Thank you to Dave from Yorkshire Dad for sharing this recipe with the world via Instagram. Check him out at Yorkshiredadof4 on Instagram or here on YouTube.

As I perused Instagram Tuesday afternoon, I came upon an old post from the weekend. It was a photo one of my "vlogging friends" had posted of a dessert he made for his family.

It looked like a crispy golden sparkling dish of deliciousness and I knew I needed to try it! I commented, "Recipe, please!" to which he quickly typed up a reply and sent along to the masses. It was basically a bread pudding, but with a homemade caramel and bourbon. I was a little apprehensive, since bread puddings aren't my favorite usually, and I've never made one in my life, but the golden crispy-crunchiness of the top crust kept calling. I decided to try the recipe right then and there. I knew my ADHD wouldn't have brought me back around to trying it later.

I gathered my ingredients, made the translations from British to American, and called my husband to pick up some croissants on the way home. He was intrigued when I told him why I needed them. His mom is from Minnesota, and apparently bread puddings are a big thing out there. (I'm from NC, and not that familiar with them)

Once I had everything ready, it wasn't much to manage:
-tear up the croissants
-make the caramelly souffle base and pour it on (I chose a vanilla Jim Beam for the bourbon. Vanilla goes in almost everything, right?)
-top with some coarse brown sugar and bake

The scents which wafted around while making this were so delicious, I knew it was going to be at least "Okay." When the final product came out of the oven, it was perfectly amber and smelled like heaven. We all had a hard time waiting for it to cool before we could spoon it into bowls to try.

It was crispy-crunchy, so rich and sweet, and definitely delicious. The top had the crunch from the toasted croissants and the coarse sugar, and the bottom was a soft, rich buttery-bourbon blend with the caramel coming through, as a more of a hint than a slurry.

A new kind of adventure for Em and the Gang ... adventuring with food! Adventures await!


FOLLOW US ON:
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/emandthegangadventures/
Twitter: @EmandTheGang2
Facebook: Em and the gang
BECOME A PATRON! You can now become a patron of Em and the Gang on Patreon. Get special rewards, sneak peeks and more: https://www.patreon.com/emandthegang


No comments: